The Auckland Festival of Photography is a city-wide contemporary art and cultural event which takes place within Auckland's major galleries, project spaces, non-gallery venues and public sites during June each year. The programme includes a mix of emerging and established artists and comprises existing works and creation of new work. The annual Festival is produced by the Auckland Festival of Photography Trust.
The Trust is a not for profit charitable trust working to further the presence and awareness of photography in Auckland through joint programming, audience development and profile raising activities. It is registered with the Charities Commission No: CC38839. You can make a tax credit donation here on our Give A Little page.
The Trust's goals and objectives are:
- Supporting and encouraging local emerging photographers to develop and exhibit their work to the public in Auckland
- Region-wide community partnerships and participation
- Partnerships with relevant arts and cultural organizations and individuals in the art education and private sectors to facilitate the presentation of photography
- A wide range of photographic arts stakeholders including public and commercial galleries and mainstream and cutting edge professional, exhibiting artists
- Open-access programmes include Satellite exhibitions and "Auckland Photo Day" and "Auckland Photo Blog" (online digital participation)
- Representing cultural diversity through photographic exhibitions
- Strengthen regional identity and assisting the development of cultural tourism in the region
Festival Trustees: Jim He (MNZM) (Chair), Julia Durkin (MNZM), Phil Edmondes-Rowe and Rachel Qi. Festival Ambassador - Rick Lin.
The Auckland Festival of Photography is a founding member of the Asia Pacific Photoforum, a regional grouping of international photography festivals across NZ, Australia and Asia. Members comprise Ballarat, Chobi Mela, Fotografica Bogota, Guatephoto, Head On, Higashikawa, Obscura, Pingyao, Shimmer, Singapore and, of course, the Auckland Festival of Photography. The Asia Pacific Photoforum seeks to further the presence of photography across the Asia Pacific region as a medium for artistic expression and truthful dissemination of ideas and information in an increasingly globalising world. View the website at http://asiapacificphotoforum.com/
Foundation Member of